On Monday, June 11th at approximately 12:30 p.m. fire and rescue units were dispatched to the 10800 block of Balls Ford Road in Manassas regarding a possible hazmat incident.
Upon arrival, fire and rescue units observed an 80 pound propane cylinder aboard an RV/motor home that was leaking and could not be stopped. The incident was upgraded and a hazmat unit was notified.
As fire and rescue crews awaited arrival of the Hazmat team, an isolation zone was set-up in preparation for evacuating the propane from the cylinder.
Upon arrival, the Hazmat team was briefed regarding the overall situation and assessed the safest method in which to stop the leak was through flaring operations. Flaring or “burning off” propane is a quick and safe way to evacuate tanks through the use of a flare stand or propane torch without venting raw propane into the atmosphere.
Flaring operations were safely and successfully implemented concluding the incident around 3:30 a.m. this morning. Monitoring was temporarily conducted thereafter to ensure the hazard was no longer present.