Advice for Community Members
- Support community organizations and conditions
that promote positive activities for youth.
- Be positive role models.
• Become educated about gangs, human trafficking
and crime in general.
- Seek and maintain a close relationship with police
officers who patrol your neighborhoods.
- Become involved in your local Neighborhood Watch
or consider starting one if none exists. Contact your
local law enforcement agency to learn more about
- Do not tolerate graffiti. Report it to the Police
Department, record it and remove it.
- Watch for groups that congregate in your neighborhood
or at a residence (especially if there is
no adult supervision) that wear similar colors and
styles of clothing or similar sports team logos.
Advice for Parents
- Educate yourself on the signs of gang activity.
- Provide structure and discipline to children.
- Provide and support a sense of identity and
belonging to a positive group such as family, church,
school, sports or community groups.
- Be engaged in the lives of your children.
- Maintain an open line of communication with your
- Know your children’s friends.
- Insist on knowing where your children are going and
whom they will be with.
- Pay attention to behavioral changes, such as the way
your children dress, school attendance and
performance, and the company they keep. (These
can also be symptoms of other issues in their lives such as
drug use or hanging out with negative peers).
- Pay attention to music, websites and wall posters.
- Trust your instincts. If you feel that your child is
starting to be influenced by gangs, be curious and
follow up on it.
Advice for Youth
Youth should be aware of the signs of gang
participation as described in this brochure. Be aware
of any indicators in your neighborhood, friends or
classmates that make you suspect that they are
gang involved or interested in gang behavior. Also,
be aware of any signs that they might be victims of
bullying or manipulation. Show care and concern
for them and then seek help from an adult. Do
not disrespect or otherwise talk badly about any