Prince William County, the City of Manassas and the City of Manassas Park
Gangs continue to be a concern in the area and are being addressed through a regional strategy of enforcement, education, prevention and intervention. The Gang Response Intervention Team (G.R.I.T.) is a dedicated group of concerned public and private citizens who want to bring a coordinated response to this challenging issue. The G.R.I.T. coordinator is available to answer questions or to provide information on resources you might need to help address a gang issue. To download a copy of the current Northern Virginia Regional Gang Task Force public service announcement, click here
Signs of Gang Involvement
: One of the first steps in dealing with gangs is to raise community awareness of the signs of gang involvement.
For general information, or for gang prevention and intervention resources, contact the G.R.I.T. coordinator at:
G.R.I.T. Mission: The mission of the Prince William Gang Response Intervention Team is to form a collaborative team comprised of key public officials and community leaders from Prince William County and the Cities of Manassas and Manassas Park (the Prince William Area) who can provide a current knowledge base and promote and encourage community based collaboration in response to the region’s gang prevention efforts.
Goal: Prevent children, youth and young adults from gang involvement and assist gang-involved youth and young adults at-risk of gang involvement to leave the gang lifestyle.
- Promote and support information sharing among all agencies and groups that have a stake in serving gang-involved young people, those who are at risk of gang involvement, and their families.
- Educate and involve the community in a collective and collaborative response to gang prevention and intervention by raising awareness of gang issues and the sharing availability of resources for addressing those issues.
- Develop shared strategies for a collaborative and coordinated response to gang involvement.
- Assess gang involvement and its relationship to existing resources and prevention/intervention efforts, and develop strategies to prioritize and redirect resources.
- Identify and advocate for additional funding opportunities to provide resources for G.R.I.T.
- Coordinate local gang prevention/intervention efforts with those of the Northern Virginia region.
- Participate in a comprehensive regional assessment of gang activity and prevention/intervention/suppression efforts in the Northern Virginia region and the Prince William area.
- Identify gaps in service and promote development of needed resources, or recommend the realignment of existing resources, to address those gaps.
- Develop a gang prevention/intervention strategic plan for the Prince William area based upon the regional assessment.
- Monitor gang activity and its impact in the Prince William area.
- Participate in gang prevention activities at the local, regional and state levels, and ensure that the efforts of the Prince William area are coordinated and aligned.
- Provide information and outreach to parents and adults working with children and youth concerning gang issues and gang prevention.