The Circuit Court Clerk's Public Service Center in Room 305 in the Judicial Center issues marriage licenses. Licenses are issued from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- County/City residency is not required.
- The license may be obtained in any courthouse in Virginia.
- Virginia licenses are only valid for ceremonies performed in Virginia.
- No witnesses are required.
- The license is valid for 60 days and may be used immediately upon issuance.
- No appointment is necessary to obtain the license.
- No blood tests are required.
- If divorced, no final decree needs to be presented to obtain a marriage license. However, it is important that you know that the final decree has been signed by the judge.
- BOTH APPLICANTS MUST APPEAR IN PERSON to obtain the marriage license. However, if either spouse cannot appear in person, please print the Affidavit form; the party who cannot appear in person can fill it out and sign before a Notary Public. The other party must bring the completed and notarized form with him/her to obtain the marriage license.
- If you have a Social Security Number, it must be included on the license.
- Proof of age is required, such as a valid driver's license, DMV walker's ID, passport or Military ID.
- Picture identification, such as U.S. passport, certificate of U.S. Citizenship, certificate of naturalization, unexpired foreign passport, alien registration card with photograph, state-issued driver's license, state-issued identification card, U.S. military card, and other government issued identification card issued within the U.S., is required in order to administer the oath.
- To help expedite the licensing process, complete the license online. When you arrive at the Public Service Center, go to the counter and staff will print out the license. Applications entered online will only be available for 72 hours. Your entire Social Security number is required. For security purposes you may omit the Social Security number on this form. You will need to provide your complete Social Security number to the Deputy Clerk when your marriage license is issued.
- Legal Requirements: The minimum age is 18 years old.
- Please review carefully, before taking the oath and signing the license that all information is correct. We cannot change a license once it has been issued.
- We cannot and do not answer any legal or immigration questions.
- Weddings are now performed at the courthouse. Please contact the Public Service Center to make an appointment: 703-792-6036.
After the Ceremony
The celebrant should return the license to the Prince William Clerk of Circuit Court within 5 days after performing the ceremony.
Clerk will record license and return certified copy to spouses. Please make sure the address given is a permanent mailing address.
We cannot change a license once it has been issued. If there is an error, the Clerk's Office can do an affidavit to be attached to the license. The cost is $10.00.
To change a name on documents, the spouse can show the certified copy to the Department of Motor Vehicles, Social Security, etc.
|Marriage License (cash or credit/debit card (no checks) --includes mailing 1 certified copy)
|Certified Copies of License
||$2.50 per copy|
Please notify the Circuit Court Clerk's Office by email if you have additional questions.