The Circuit Court Clerk's Civil Office (Room 314) handles the processing of Concealed Handgun Permits.
back to top
- Any person 21 years of age or older may apply in writing to the Clerk of Circuit Court in the county in which the person resides, or if the person is a member of the United States Armed Forces, the county or city in which the person is domiciled, for a permit to carry a concealed handgun.
- Concealed Handgun Permit Application (Form SP-248) is available at this link. Please be certain to use the latest version of the permit application (7-1-2017).
- Please carefully review your application so that it is not delayed or denied because of incomplete information. Frequent errors occur in the answers to these questions (click here). Please print out and include the initialed worksheet with your application.
- Fingerprint card is not required.
- If you submit the application in person, you will have your application confirmed by the clerk, you must have some form of government issued photo identification such as a driver's license or military ID.
- Listing your Social Security number on the application is optional.
- You are required to demonstrate competence with a handgun pursuant to Virginia Code § 18.2-308.02 (B). See the list of what you may submit as evidence. Note: A permit issued by another state generally does not serve as proof of competency.
- Include $15.00 with your application. By mail, we accept check or money order payable to "Clerk of Circuit Court." If the application is hand carried to the office, we also accept cash and credit card.
- The completed application and $15 should be submitted either by mail or in person to: Clerk of Circuit Court, Room 314, 9311 Lee Avenue, Manassas, VA 20110-5598. Please include an optional self-addressed stamped envelope.
- Effective July 1, 2017, First Time Applicants must submit Form SP-248 and proof of competency in person to: Clerk of Circuit Court, Room 314, 9311 Lee Avenue, Manassas, VA 20110-5598.
- A decision will be made within 45 days of receipt of application. The permit or notice of denial will be mailed to you.
- Please notify us immediately if your permit is not correct. Immediately sign the permit.
- The permit can be laminated. Please sign the permit prior to laminating it.
- There will be NO REFUNDS.
- It is important for you to notify this office immediately in writing of any change of address PRIOR to issuance of the permit.
- Application and payment is received in Clerk’s Office.
- Application is sent by Clerk’s Office to the Sheriff's Department for a background check.
- When the background check has been completed and there are no "red flags", the application will be processed, signed by the Clerk and a card will be mailed to you.
- If there is a problem with the application, the Clerk's Office sends the application to Judges' Chambers.
- The applicant may be contacted by a Law Clerk. If the Court denies the permit, the applicant will receive notice, including instructions on how to appeal, in the mail. If it is approved, the applicant will receive the permit in the mail. Please include an optional self-addressed stamped envelope.
back to top
Applications for permit renewal should be submitted at least 90 days (but not more than 180 days) prior to expiration of your current permit. You must provide:
- New completed application. Use Concealed Handgun Permit Application (Form SP-248). It is on the Prince William County Clerk of Circuit Court's website. There is no separate renewal form.
- $15 processing fee. Please make your check payable to “Clerk of Circuit Court.”
- Please include an optional self-addressed stamped envelope.
- One copy of the previous Concealed Handgun Permit issued by this Court or another Virginia Circuit Court or other evidence of competence.
The new issue date for permits is determined as follows:
- Applications received less than 90 days before expiration will receive a new expiration date.
- Applications received between 90 days and 180 days prior to expiration will be renewed at the original month and day.
- Applications received more than 180 days from expiration will be returned.
If your permit is lost or stolen you may submit a Request for Duplicate Permit
. This form must be signed in front of a notary or a deputy clerk. There is a fee of $5.00 to reissue a lost or stolen permit. Make your check payable to "Clerk of Circuit Court." Please include an optional self-addressed stamped envelope.
If you change your name or address, you must submit a Change of Name or Address
for Concealed Handgun Permit. If you move to another county, but received your permit from Prince William, you would file the Request in Prince William.
Submit the form to the Circuit Court Clerk’s Office, Room 314, 9311 Lee Avenue, Manassas, VA 20110. If you would like us to mail the permit, please include an optional self-addressed stamped envelope.
|Filing, initial or renewal ||$15||$10 for the Clerk and $5 for the State Police |
|Lost or duplicate||$5||$5.00 Clerk Fee|
|Address change||$10||$10.00 Clerk Fee |
Please notify the Circuit Court Clerk's Office by email
if you find that any of the links on this page do not work.