VINE - Victim Information and Notification Everyday
Across the country, crime victims and other concerned citizens are using VINE for access to timely and reliable information about criminal cases and the custody status of offenders 24 hours a day - over the telephone, Internet or by e-mail. You can call to inquire about the current status of an offender, and register to be notified immediately in the event of an offender's release, escape, transfer or court appearance. This is a FREE service and offers UNLIMITED USE.
The Virginia State Victim Notification Service (VINE) is a service through which victims of crime can use the telephone or internet to search for information regarding their offender's custody status and register to receive telephone and e-mail notification when the offender's custody status changes. This service is brought to you by the Virginia Department of Corrections and Virginia Sheriff's Association via a grant from the Bureau of Justice Assistance for SAVIN that is managed by Virginia Center for Policing Innovation.
VINE toll-free number for Virginia VINE is 1-800-467-4943
Click the links for more information (below):
VINE offers around the clock support, a staff of live operators to assist victims and technicians who monitor all VINE systems.
- 46 States are connected to VINE
- More than 2,300 communities nationwide
- 40 of the nation's Departments of Corrections
- VINE communicates with jail and prison booking systems in near real-time; transmitting and updating information to the Appriss Data Network.
- Crime victims and the general public can access the information any time of the day or night.
- Victims can inquire whether an offender is held in jail as well as the facility's location.
- Users can register to be notified immediately of a change in the offender's status, such as release, transfer or escape.
- When a notification is triggered, VINE automatically calls the number or numbers the victim has provided.
- Calls continue for a designated period of time or until the victim enters a 4-digit PIN.
Currently notifications are in 13 languages depending on the needs of the individual community.
TTY is a special device that allows people who are deaf, heard of hearing, or speech-impaired to communicate over the telephone. Individuals can register for VINE notifications via a TTY device by calling toll-free 1-800-467-4943 or at http://www.vinelink.com/