Sign In

​Trending Searches:     Fire & Rescue Reform | Parks | Library

Operating a Business
Operating a Business
To apply for zoning approval for a home office
  • Applicant must submit a completed HOC (Home Occupation Certificate) Application to the Zoning Counter in the Development Services Building (directions).
  • Application must be made in person (faxes or applications sent by mail are not accepted).
  • Applicable Zoning fees may apply.
  • Call the Zoning Counter at 703-792-6830 if you have questions.
Application Requirements:​
  • Personal picture identification, showing proof of current residence (such as a valid drivers license or DMV identification card); this must be presented at time of application. Other forms of proof include deeds, leases, vehicle registration, W-2 forms, utility bills, and any other legal documents. Examples of things that are not accepted include cell phone bills, letters, and expired driver’s licenses.
  • If a person other than the home owner is applying for the Home Occupation Certificate, a Homeowners Release Affidavit is required.  
  • Proof of Trade Name Registration (i.e. Assumed Name Certificate -may not be required if using the applicant/owner's name for trade name)
    • Trade names are applied for in person at the Prince William County Judicial Center, at 9311 Lee Avenue Room 305, Manassas. Office hours are 8:30 a.m. to 3:45 p.m., Monday through Friday, except holidays. Go to the PWC Clerk of the Circuit Court Website for information or call 703-792-6045.
    • If the business will not operate under a trade name, the applicant must apply for HOC (Home Occupation Certificate - Office) under the applicant's name.

Business License Procedures:
  •  Business License (issued by Prince William County Department of Finance)
    •  Businesses grossing more than $250,000 per year or contractors' businesses (regardless of income) require a business license.
    • Visit the Department of Finance Website, or call 703-792-6710 for additional information.
  • Virginia Tax ID Number

For Contractors Licenses:
  • Contractors operating from offices not located in Prince William County may apply for a contractor's license from the Department of Finance, in order to conduct business and obtain permits in Prince William County. Zoning approval is not required for contractors not located in Prince William County. Out-of-state contractors should contact Department of Development Services, Building Development Division regarding minimum licensing requirements at 703-792-4040.

Additional Resources for Starting a Small Business:


You are now leaving the official Prince William County Government website.